Memphis Daily News Chandler Reports Nashville Ledger
» Subscribe Today!
The Power of Information
Home
The Ledger - EST. 1978 - Nashville Edition
X
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Article
VOL. 40 | NO. 19 | Friday, May 6, 2016

Tennessee Supreme Court building gets historic places marker

Print | Front Page | Email this story

NASHVILLE (AP) — A new market inside the doors of the Tennessee Supreme Court in Nashville celebrates the building's inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places.

When it was completed in 1937, it marked the first time state's highest court had its own building. The structure was funded through President Franklin D. Roosevelt's Public Works Administration.

Today the building is used by the Supreme Court, the intermediate courts of criminal and civil appeals and a museum to state court history.

The building is designed in the stripped classicism style that was popular in the 1930s and 1940s. Architectural features include Doric capitals, a cornice embellished with classical images, multi-pane windows, marble interiors and historic lighting fixtures.

The building was recognized on the National Register of Historic Places in 2014.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter & RSS:
Sign-Up For Our FREE email edition
Get the news first with our free weekly email
Name
Email  
TNLedger.com Knoxville Editon
RECORD TOTALS DAY WEEK YEAR
PROPERTY SALES 0 0 0
MORTGAGES 0 0 0
FORECLOSURE NOTICES 0 0 0
BUILDING PERMITS 0 0 0
BANKRUPTCIES 0 0 0
BUSINESS LICENSES 0 0 0
UTILITY CONNECTIONS 0 0 0
MARRIAGE LICENSES 0 0 0